Notes From the Jungle - Return to Puerto Viejo

Diposting oleh writer on Selasa, 26 April 2011


I'm currently in a small fishing village of Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica. I've dreamed of returning to this special place from my last visit nine years ago. Cherished memories of my time spent here were inspired by a lot of my writing over the past few years. When I think of peace and tranquility, I think Puerto Viejo, the place resonates with me on a deeply spiritual level

.

narrow dirt roads of this exotic villages are always packed with loud cars, buses and tour vans. People walking on the streets from early morning until dusk and later, locals and tourists can be found spilling out of shops and restaurants, riding bicycles and cruise around on mopeds. When it rains the streets turn into a giant mud bath. When the sun is shining, thin clouds of exhaust and dust floating through the sultry air, leaving behind a dirty film on the skin. Village spills into the Caribbean Sea and lush tropical rainforest, where wild life thrives in all its glory. Caribbean pulse permeates the village and the island beat of reggae music wafts from outdoor thatched roof huts where cheap accommodation is abundant. restaurants offer comida tipica-local meal consisting of rice, beans, fried plantains, salad and some kind of meat or fish, with a wide array of national dishes, including Italian, French, Thai and Mexican.

I came here to write, explore and gain deeper insight into the Pura Vida (pure life) of many remote tropical village of spraying the southern Caribbean coast. My first teacher was Jesse who works in the restaurant at Almonds and Corals Resort in Manzanillo. When I asked Jesse if she ever heard the term ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), she scratched her head in confusion, and stared at me inquisitively. I explained the meaning of this popular diagnosis and alarming incidence of stimulant medication prescribed for children in the United States. Jesse's eyes suddenly sparkled with recognition. "Ahhh, Si," she exclaimed. "In Costa Rica the children are taught separately from other ."

confused Jesse's accent, I thought you said the children were taken into a public park for further instructions. "Why do these kids learn in the park, Jesse," I inquired. "Is it easier for them to learn in nature?" Jesse smiled warmly. "They do not learn in the park, " she replied lightly. "Kids love this kind, they have been taught by others." She then elaborated. "In the afternoon, stay in school to learn more closely with the teacher. In this way, they can learn more slowly. After school, when they finished the lessons, they go out to run and play ."

I laughed in the fun. "Jesse, do you know any child or adult who takes a pill to concentrate better in school?" Again, Jesse scratched his head as if she was deep in contemplation mode. "No, " she replied. "Here in Costa Rica take medication only when we get very sick." "What about when people feel sad or nervous, Jesse?" I inquired. "Do they take a pill to feel happy again?" Jesse appeared intrigued and smiled brightly. "No sad or nervous person," Jesse replied. I do not know a person like this ".

with someone else, maybe I question the accuracy of such a conclusion, but with Jesse, the truth is reflected in her dark soulful eyes. "Tell me how you manage it, Jesse, " I continued. "You're separated from your baby's dad and work long hours in the restaurant every day. You're a baby except for a few days, even weeks at a time. Yet, every day, it seems calm and happy. Do you ever feel sad, worried or afraid? "Jesse paused. "I love my job, " she replied. When I feel this way, sad and nervous, I go to a river. Watching monkeys in the jungle or I stare at the beautiful mango. I take time to see things that surround me. In Costa Rica, we take the time. Do not rush. We stop and we look and listen. That's how I do not feel sad ."

with someone else, maybe I question the accuracy of such a conclusion, but with Jesse, the truth is reflected in her dark soulful eyes. "Tell me how you manage it, Jesse, " I continued. "You're separated from your baby's dad and work long hours in the restaurant every day. You're a baby except for a few days, even weeks at a time. Yet, every day, it seems calm and happy. Do you ever feel sad, worried or afraid? "Jesse paused. "I love my job, " she replied. When I feel this way, sad and nervous, I go to a river. Watching monkeys in the jungle or I stare at the beautiful mango. I take time to see things that surround me. In Costa Rica, we take the time. Do not rush. We stop and we look and listen. That's how I do not feel sad ."

...

in Puerto Viejo, you'll find a diverse group of hippie backpackers hanging out with rich North American landowners, an eclectic group of travelers and locals. There is a constant undercurrent of mild tension reflect shady drug culture threatening to erupt at any moment. However, payback is a powerful exotic sensuality that could only hope to discover the remote and authentic place. When night falls, tikki torches illuminate outdoor cafes and reggae music fills the air. It is nothing less than paradise.

Café Rico is located directly across the street from Casa Verde. This place has become a favorite gathering place for my writing. I spend hours here banging away on my keyboard, drinking cappuccino and practicing my Spanish speaking skills with Liza, a waitress who greets me every morning with a friendly smile. environment calls to mind a jungle soothing refuge and an ideal place to enter the creative flow. outdoor bamboo house is located in the middle of a beautiful garden, where old books, colorful tapestries, and wind chimes from shells adorn tables and walls. Soft music plays in the background. Stray dogs spread on the floor as a hippie backpackers drink coffee, smoke cigarettes and lounge around in hammocks watching the rain fall. I have vivid memories of sitting in this place exactly nine years ago, during the afternoon storm, drinking coffee with a man from Cyprus and discuss our joint research in the field of psychology.

There is an expat who now lives in Puerto Viejo and spends his days in a coffee shop Rico smoking cigarettes and handing out literature on unsuspecting tourists on the Alex Jones film called New World Order: Operation compromise. When he is not the cafe Rico, which is rare, can be found riding around on his bike. He is long and slender with wild blond hair and pensive aura. He was very suspicious of U.S. government and fervently espouses health benefits of colloidal silver as an alternative to antibiotics, in fact, he mixes his own concoction of things every day, he istries to to sell in large glass bottles in cafes Rico . I became fascinated by the guy and found out it was first settled in Puerto Viejo, about 5 years, when he took up residence in a cheap hotel in the center and slowly started spending more and more time in the coffee shop Rico.

It was fascinating to watch the assorted group of random passengers on this little bohemian hideaway. Today it rained relentlessly. I spent the whole afternoon in a cafe Rico writing and hanging out with Liza, who graciously filled my cappuccino in the afternoon and keep my things during my multiple bathroom breaks. Here I met a group of frustrated Australian surfers who are eager to head for the Pacific coast looking for the perfect break, and I learned that Liza practice law in Limon, when she is here in Puerto Viejo with the help of her boyfriend running a cafe. Another day passed and night fast approaching, and I eagerly wait to find out what tomorrow will bring to this quaint and beautiful city of

.

{ 0 komentar... read them below or add one }

Posting Komentar